This has been a Government Institute under control of Directorate of Technical Education, Gujarat State and funded by the State Government.
The Institute was established in the year 1954,prior to establishment of Gujarat state. Initially the Institute was started with three Diploma Programs in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering with a total intake capacity of 165 seats.
Today the Institute is recognized as a one of the oldest and premier polytechnic in Gujarat State and as a Centre of Excellence in the field of Electrical Engineering. Over the years there has been dynamic progress at G.P. Ahmedabad in all academic and parallel improvement in facilities and infrastructure to keep it on par with best institution. The Institute is on the way of excellence and grow with time. Ideas of ideals on which such institutions are built, evolve and change with national aspirations and prevailing trends with a objective of imparting Technical Education in various fields of engineering and technology. G.P., Ahmedabad is one of such an Institutions.
The institute presently offers AICTE approved 9 (nine) regular full time Diploma programs with a total intake capacity of 505 students, It also offers 3 (Three) Diploma Programs with Distance Learning Mode (DLM) with intake capacity of 120 seats, and 2 (Two) full time Advanced /Post Diploma Programs with a total intake capacity of 75 seats to cope up with the needs of the surrounding Industries.
INDUSTRY INSTITUTE INTERACTION
· Lectures by experts from different industries
· Consultancy works / Testing works for different organizations
· Training programs for various organizations/ Industries may be of Government / Semi Government / Private
· Quality improvement programs in industries
· Faculty training at Technical Teachers Training Institute (TTTI)
· Attending / Organizing seminar / winter or summer schools
· Campus Interviews
· Guidance and Counseling Cell
· Training and Placement of students of different disciplines in relevant Industries.
· Pedagogical counseling
· Liaison with different Engineering organizations professional bodies.
· Active part in the activities of CDC, CEC and LRDC