The Distance Education Council (DEC) is an apex body for the Open and Distance Learning (ODL) system in the country. It is empowered, under Statute 28 of the IGNOU Act, to act as an apex body for the ODL system. It is responsible for promotion, coordination and maintenance of standards of the ODL system. The Vice Chancellor of IGNOU is the ex-officio Chairperson of DEC. Presently, there are: one National Open University (IGNOU), thirteen state open universities (SOUs) and more than 200 Distance Education Institutes (DEIs) functioning under conventional universities and private/autonomous institutions that come under its purview.
⇛ Ignou Assignments July 2014 & January 2015
Ignou Distance Education Courses:
Vision: Distance Education Council shall provide academic guidelines to promote excellence, encourage use of innovative technologies and approaches, enable convergence of all systems and sharing of resources through collaborative networking for access to sustainable education, skill upgradation and training to all.
Mission: To strive for coordinated development of learner-centric Open and Distance Learning (ODL)system and ensure high quality of education, meet challenges of access and equity to reach the un-reached, the Distance Education Council(DEC)shall:
- Encourage state governments/ conventional universities to establish open universities/ top distance education institutes and create a network of such institutions.
- Provide financial support and grants and academic guidelines to institutions of open and distance education.
- Evolve norms, procedures and guidelines in respect of admission, evaluation, and certification.
- Assess and accredit institutions of open and distance learning to ensure quality.
- Encourage use of technology in education and provide opportunities for sharing technological resources and competencies through inter-university partnerships/consortia.
- Facilitate development and sharing of self-instructional (multiple media) materials amongst different open universities/distance education institutions.
- Facilitate sharing of student support services created by various State Open Universities (SOUs) and Correspondence Course Institutes (CCIs).
- Promote convergence of conventional, ODL and other systems to facilitate mobility of learners through credit transfer/sharing.
- Promote research and innovation in ODL systems.
- Facilitate training for indigenous capacity building in ODL systems.
- Create databases for SOUs, CCIs, distance educators and functionaries associated with ODL systems.
Click below to know More Ignou Courses:
List of Major Regional Centres in India: