Kerala is recognized as a state of education in India. The education and literacy rate in this state is very high, if compared to other states in India. It is also known for the least drop-outs from school and colleges. Kerala has earned this position due to strong and powerful education system that has already reached to the masses even in remote areas. KeralaUniversity is a vital part of this movement of knowledge.
History and Establishment of Kerala University
This educational organization has a history which dates back to 1937. The Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma, who was the Maharaja of Travancore, established institute for open education in 1937. This institute was later converted into Kerala University in 1957 by a separate Act by Legislative Assembly. Maharaja of Travancore was the first Chancellor of the University. The organization covered large part of Kerala at that time and was affiliated to Madras University.
Later in 1968, the Kozikode campus of the University was converted into Calicut University. It became center of northern Kerala and nearly forty four colleges at that time. The Kerala University restricted its area to some parts like Thirunananthpuram, Kollam, Alappuzha and Pathanamthitta.
The University has concentrated its attention only to the post-graduate and doctorate departments now. It focuses on research programs as of now. It has around 150 affiliated colleges, having established nearly ten University colleges for Teacher education and eight colleges for technology. The study centers opened for the students operate in various fields like Bioinformatics, Women’s Studies, Gandhian Studies, Nanotechnology, Kerala Studies, etc. Around 1 lakh students take advantage of University educational services annually. The KeralaUniversity also administers following institutes in its campus:
- The AcademicStaffCollege which has trained over ten thousand teachers till date.
- The Center for Adult and Continuing Education which works for the students or adults who had to discontinue their education due to personal reasons.
- The Department of Publications which has given rise to many noted publishers and various famous books and journals.
- The UniversityComputerCenter which has empowered large masses about technological skills and knowledge of computers.
- The University library which has been used by many eminent scholars in the country. It contains huge collections of books from important local languages in the country. The library initiates a journal called Indian History, which includes information about the manuscripts, papers found in India.
Being an older University, this organization follows traditional regulations in teachings. However, it has also adopted various modern techniques to accumulate innovative ways of teaching in its operations. It has also promoted online and open education through the Institute for Distance Education.
The Kerala University, true to its motto (Knowledge is revealed through Action) has been working since many years to educate the people and make them intellectually independent. The prominent scholars and Nobel winners have taught at the University, to share their knowledge with the students. The University also boasts of various eminent personalities that have been studied at the departments operated by it.