Master of Technology (M Tech) | Master of Engineering (M Eng)

A Master of Engineering (M.Eng, ME or MEng) or Master of Technology (M.Tech or MTech), can be either an academic or professional master's degree in the field of engineering.


In India, a Master of Engineering or Master of Technology degree is a postgraduate program in engineering or technology. This is generally a 2-year specialization program in a specific branch of engineering or a technical field. Students typically enter the ME/MTech programs after completing a 4-year undergraduate program in engineering resulting in the award of a Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Technology degree, or a 5-year program in Science or Applied Sciences resulting in the award of a Master of Science degree.

The ME/MTech programs in India are usually structured as an Engineering Research degree, lesser than Phd and considered to be parallel to M.Phil and M.S degrees in Humanities and Science respectively. MTech programs in India were started by some well known institutions with the aim of producing Research Engineers who can get the position of "Technologist" as well in the Industries and Research Institutes. In electrical engineering, for example, areas of specialization might include: power systems, electrical machines, instrumentation and control, high voltage or power electronics.

List of Top M.Tech Institutes/Colleges in Multiple cities in India

M.Tech Colleges in Delhi M.Tech Colleges in Mumbai M.Tech Colleges in Chennai
M.Tech Colleges in Kolkata M.Tech Colleges Bangalore M.Tech Colleges in Hyderabad
M.Tech Colleges in Chandigarh M.Tech Colleges in Pune M.Tech Colleges in Noida
M.Tech Colleges in Gurgaon M.Tech Colleges in Bhopal M.Tech Colleges in Jaipur
M.Tech Colleges in Ahmedabad M.Tech Colleges in Surat M.Tech Colleges in Coimbatore
M.Tech Colleges in Kochi M.Tech Colleges in Vadodara M.Tech Colleges in Nashik
M.Tech Colleges in Nagpur M.Tech Colleges in Thane M.Tech Colleges in Ludhiana
M.Tech Colleges in Lucknow M.Tech Colleges in Faridabad M.Tech Colleges in Visakhapatnam
List of M.Tech colleges in India M.Tech Colleges in Patna M.Tech Colleges in Navi Mumbai
M.Tech Colleges in Kanpur M.Tech Colleges in Indore

AICTE, the technical education standards body of India, opted to standardize the duration of the course to two years to give practical exposure in the industry and more research orientation. Some universities also offer 3 years weekend ME/MTech programs.


In Australia, the Master of Engineering degree is a research degree requiring completion of a thesis. Like the Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.), it is considered a lesser degree than Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). It is not to be confused with Master of Engineering Science or Master of Engineering Studies which are coursework master's degrees. Exceptions are Monash University which awards a Master of Engineering Science by either research or coursework, the University of Melbourne which offers a Master of Engineering by coursework, and the University of Tasmania which offer a Master of Engineering Science by research.

The coursework Master of Engineering is offered in 11 specializations, and accepts graduates with three-year degrees in Science and Maths.

The unique features of the MTech program are that engineers can earn the degree by a flexible part-time program of study that can be completed from any location worldwide (campus attendance is not required; all assessments are obtained and submitted online through Curtin’s e-learning environment). The program includes both coursework (50% credit) and workplace-based projects (50% credit). All assessments are related to the participants work and career, and are based on the concept of workplace-based learning directly linked to the development of industry-required skills and competencies.

The entry requirement is completion of a Bachelor's Degree at or above the second class honors level. Some universities do not offer direct enrollment into Doctor of Philosophy and students must first enroll in a lesser research degree before "upgrading".


In Canada, the Master of Engineering degree is a graduate degree of typically two years length that involves coursework and a thesis or research paper of significant depth. Some Canadian universities offer a Master of Engineering, or either a Master of Science or Master of Applied Science in engineering, or both. Master of Engineering degrees usually require more coursework and examination and less research, whereas Master of Applied Science degrees require less coursework and more research. However, this is not absolute since some universities only offer a Master of Engineering and some only offer a Master of Science or Master of Applied Science. Some universities differentiate only by the requirement to be resident and therefore assist in teaching/tutoring for a Master of Science Degree. Usually, only a Master of Science or Master of Applied Science degree is accepted for admission to doctoral studies in engineering education or other related areas.


There are two distinct degrees in Finland, a taught university degree (diplomi-insinööri) and a vocational degree (insinööri (ylempi AMK)). While the former is translated as "Master of Science in Engineering", the term "Master of Engineering" is predominantly used by Universities of Applied Sciences, which offer Master Degree programs to holders of vocational Bachelor's degrees (insinööri (amk)). As European Bologna process directs, in order to get a MEng degree, B.Sc engineers have to additionally study full time one or two years and finalize a Master's thesis. Most of the MEng degree programs are taught in Finnish, but some Swedish and English language programs also exist.


In Germany, the local engineer's degree is replaced by postgraduate master's degrees (M.Sc and M.Eng) in 2010.

The Master of Engineering degree is offered by German Fachhochschulen (Universities of Applied Sciences) universities and is typically a two-year program with application-oriented coursework and an applied research thesis. The entry requirement is the successful completion of a Bachelor's Degree, or an equivalent from before the Bologna process, with good marks.


In South Korea, the master of engineering, which takes a minimum of two years, is a postgraduate program that follows the undergraduate of four years. It is commonly awarded for specializations in the field of engineering rather than the science. For example, the degree "master of science in computer science" differs from the degree "master of engineering in computer science" in that the latter one is mainly concentrated on the applicability of the design with strong relation with the hardware rather than the software. Generally, the master of engineering program includes both coursework and research. It also available in IIT's.


In Pakistan, the Masters of Technology/Engineering, is an award given after pursuing a four semester (two years) course of study. There is extensive coursework with research emphasis in the final semester of study.


M.Tech was started by HEC (Higher Education Commission) with the aim of producing Research Engineers who can get the position of "Technologist" as well in the Industries and Research Institutes. In electrical engineering, areas of specialization might include: Construction management, Structural design [Building], Power systems, electrical machines, instrumentation and control, high voltage or power electronics. Admission requires that the candidate have a B.E. or B.Tech. degree in engineering or M.Sc degree in Science/Applied Science/Engineering/MCA. Currently, the duration of the M.E. or M.Tech course is two years (four semesters), M.Tech degree recognize as a Master's degree in relevant field. However, B.Tech/M.Tech degree may not be considered as substitute for B.E and M.E degree. It may be treated at par and compatible with them.


The "Master of Engineering" title was introduced in some Swedish universities following the Bologna process. The title "civilingenjör" (Civil Engineer) is the equivalent of a M.Eng. as well as the "Master of Science in Engineering" title. A Master of Science in Engineering is awarded after a minimum of 5 years of studies. Before 2007-07-01, it was awarded after a minimum of 4½ year of studies. Students starting with their studies before 2007-07-01, but finishing them before 2015-01-01 and after 2007-07-01, may choose to obtain the title either after 4½ year or after 5 years.

United Kingdom

In the United Kingdom the MEng degree is the normative university-level qualification taken by people wishing to become chartered engineers registered with ECUK. The degree is typically awarded to students who complete an extended undergraduate course lasting four years (five years in Scotland) when taken full-time. The MEng degree represents the minimum educational standard required to become a chartered engineer, but there are other equally-satisfactory ways to demonstrate this standard such as the completion of a BEng Honors and a subsequent postgraduate diploma or MSc, or by completion of the Engineering Council Postgraduate Diploma.

ECUK's minimum requirement for entry to a recognized MEng course is BBB at A-level, compared to CCC for a BEng Honors course. Universities are free to set higher entry requirements if they wish. Some universities, such as Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial only admit students to study for the MEng degree. (Their courses usually allow a student to leave with a Bachelor's degree after three years, but these shortened degrees are not ECUK-recognized and therefore do not count towards the educational requirements for becoming a chartered engineer.) Other universities, such as the University of Surrey and Brunel University, admit students to read for BEng Honours and MEng courses and allow students to change between the two during the early years of the course. The Open University offers the MEng degree as a postgraduate qualification but requires students to complete its course within three years of completing a BEng Honours degree.

The Master of Engineering (MEng) is the highest award for non-postgraduate studies in engineering. In England, Northern Ireland and Wales this is a four-year course or a 'sandwich' five-year course (with one year spent working in industry). In Scotland, it is a five year course. The Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) is usually a three year course (four in Scotland), or can also include a year in industry. Many universities offer the BEng, and may then allow a transfer onto the MEng. The Engineering Council Graduate Diploma is set at the same level as the final year of a British BEng and its Postgraduate Diploma is set at the same level as the final year of a British MEng. The Graduateship in engineering, awarded by the City & Guilds of London Institute (Institution Established in 1878 recognized by Royal Charter n.117 year 1900), is mapped to a British Bachelor of Engineering (Honors) -BEng(Honors)-degree. The Post Graduate Diploma is mapped to a British Master of Engineering (MEng) degree. The Membership in Engineering (MCGI) (NQF at Level 7) is a strategic Management/Chartered professional level and a Post Graduate Diploma, mapped to a British Master's degree, awarded by the City & Guilds of London Institute. This will be supported by a minimum of ten years of reasoned experience in areas as the Engineering + a British Bachelor/Graduateship (or by CEng).

Engineers who have been awarded a BEng(Ordinary) or BEng(Honours) and have appropriate training and experience in the work place are able to apply to become an Incorporated Engineer (IEng). If an engineer has studied beyond the BEng for an MSc or has an MEng, they may apply to become a Chartered Engineer (CEng), once they have completed the required amount of post graduate work-based competency training and experience. Competency and training requirements are met over a period of 4-8 years in practice for a total of 8-12 years education, training and professional responsibility. Formal structured post graduate training schemes such as the monitored professional development IMechE enable the Engineer in training to satisfy the requirements for Chartered Engineer faster.

Chartered Engineer and Incorporated Engineer titles awarded by the Engineering Council UK, are broadly equivalent to North American Professional Engineer (PEng / PE) and Professional Technologist (PTech) designations, but with often a far greater geographical recognition. MIET-Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology is recognized as regulated engineering profession(Electrical and computer (technology) engineer) by virtue of the Statutory Instruments n.2007/2781-The European Communities (Recognition of Professional Qualifications) Regulation 2007-Directive European Union 2005/36/EC.


I am a B. Tech graduate in Civil Engineering. I want to take admission in top ranked universities of India. Shall i get any information about that?

I want to know the difference between MTech and MEng.

I am a graduate in Information Technology from Calicut University in Kerala. I would like to know more about the M.S or courses overseas which are good and meanwhile economic. Especially in Finland, Germany, U.K etc.

Is the MCGI of the City and Guilds recognised as a Master's Degree in Europe?

Post new comment