Shivaji University-Centre for Distance Education – Kolhapur,
With the aim of social inclusion and making an earnest effort to enhance the enrollment in higher education from about 9% to around 15% as envasaged in the XI Plan. The Distance Education Council, New Delhi, sanctioned Development Grant of Rs 10 Lakhs for 2005-06, Rs 20 Lakhs for 2006-07 and Rs 40 Lakhs for 2007-08. and Rs. 20 Lakhs for 2008-09. Thereby the Centre for Distance Education was established by the Shivaji University keeping in mind the following
• To provide educational opportunities.
• To more number of students from the eligible age group than is possible today.
• To different sections of the society, who are for some reason unable to pursue education, and bring them into the main stream.
• To the female class of the society who have remained deprived because of domestic responsibilities and social restrictions.
• To the working class who choose to study at their own place and pace.
• To all sections of the society irrespective of caste, religion,gender, area of origin ,social and financial status etc.
• at affordable costs.
• To offer courses of study along with Self Instructional Material, contact sessions, counselling facilities, library & internet facilities through designated Study Centres.