The Legislative assembly of India established Tamil Nadu Open University in 2002 by a separate act. The basic objective behind the establishment of the University is to make available the existing education to the deprived and economically weak sections of the society. The sole objective of the University is to enhance the educational facilities and extend the existing knowledge and education to the masses.
Tamil Nadu University is a open category, which means that it would provide education and arrange examination without any rigid or fixed pattern. It will be helpful primarily the women and students to approach to the empowerment.
Programs Offered at Tamil Nadu Open University:
Various programs are offered at this open educational institute mainly at graduate and under-graduate level. These courses provide opportunity for education to the students who have to leave regular college due to financial or personal reasons. Types of programs are as follows:
- Certificate level programs and diploma courses
- Vocational training courses
- Undergraduate level courses on various subjects
- Graduate courses and post-graduate diplomas
- Professional development courses
Mission of the Tamil Nadu Open University:
The organizational set-up of the university works towards some pre-determined aims. Following are some of them:
- Create a relevant and updated syllabus as per the current changes and advancements in the education field, with technical and non-technical backgrounds.
- Arrange and organize learning programs for the rural people and deprived communities. These programs aimed at providing survival needs to the people to empower themselves.
- Organize various lectures and seminars over the quality of education and improvement of existing standard of teaching.
- Accumulate the changes in modern generation as e-learning. Provide the technological facilities to everywhere possible.
- Store and preserve information regarding the education evolutions and its documentation for the reference.
Admission and Examination for the Courses
The University allows the students to take admission generally twice in a year through an offline and online system. The students can approach relative regional centers or main office of the University near Guindy. There is simple registration form through which people can register to the course of their choice. The fees are nominal for the economically backward classes.
Examinations are conducted twice in a year for each course offered at the University. The students do not need to comply with the attendance regulations, as the University provides open education. After passing the examination, the certificate of the Tamil Nadu Open University will be provided to students in a graduating ceremony.
The TamilNaduUniversity has opened up a new area of education to the students from poor and uneducated background. It has carved a path of empowerment for not only Tamil residents, but also people from all over India. University is progressing towards developing new departments and academic facilities to make it recognized world-wide. The staff and related employees also starving hard to achieve the objectives as stated in the University preamble.