M.Ed | Master of Education in Bangalore

The Master of Education (M.Ed., Ed.M., M.A.Ed., or M.S.Ed.) is a postgraduate academic master's degree awarded by universities in a large number of countries. This degree in education often includes majors like - curriculum and instruction, counseling, and administration. The Master of Education is a degree awarded by institutions of higher education, usually, though not always, for educators advancing in their field. For classroom teachers in some of the states of the USA, including Massachusetts and New York, a Masters degree is required to earn professional license. In most states a Masters degree or higher is required for the post of a principal or school counselor.

Categories of study

Curriculum and Instruction/Curriculum and Teaching – Area to advance knowledge of, and professional practice in, teaching and learning. Coursework in this field generally focuses on teaching, public service, and scholarship. Often at the Master's level, Curriculum and Instruction majors (or Curriculum and Teaching at some schools) participate in educational research. This major prepares one to enter educational careers in schools, including classroom teaching.

Counselor Education - Area where students study to become mental health professionals and work toward state licensure in mental health counseling. State licensure requires 90 credit hours on a quarter system.

Guidance Counseling - Also known as school counseling, is the area where teachers study in preparation to enter school counseling. Candidates in this area study psychology, social work issues, and law.

Neuroscience Interdisciplinary Degree in Education - Harvard University is notable for having an interdisciplinary neuroscience master's degree given as an Ed.M. though this degree, depending on the student's class choices, may have no more than an hour or so in an overview course on education. Education, in this case, denotes the learning process in humans versus the profession or institution of education.

Academic Enrichment - The area where teachers increase knowledge in their specific field (branch) in to another area within teaching. Some examples are: Anything subject related (English, Math, Social Studies, Science, etc) or school areas (elementary, secondary, or special education). This is the usual path of study for teachers looking to maintain certification or move into a more marketable group.

Higher Education and Student Affairs - Coursework in this area is aimed at the study of colleges and universities (Higher Ed) or the administrative operations of higher education (student affairs) in specific programmatic elements. Ordinarily, the only requirement for admission to this type of program is an undergraduate degree.

Adult Education – For individuals 18 years and above. Some classes, such as adult literacy, high school diploma programs, English as a Second Language, parent education, and some job training classes are sponsored by the government. Others, such as art and dance classes are fee-based. A B.Ed. degree or teacher's certificate is not usually a requirement for admission to an adult education program.

Prep for Ed.D. or Ph.D. - The area where teachers study for continuing work into the doctoral programs. Candidates in this area would tackle specific educational issues and often get into educational research in preparation for Doctoral work. This is the broadest area of Masters work for education.